“Total Design”is put forward by WDCE (Walton Design Consulting Engineering Co., Ltd.), which has experienced professional practices in planning research, architectural design and interior design for 20 years, now it raises higher requests for architectural design, which need break the bounds of traditional architectural design to provide the design for whole process and industrial chain with interactive process design.
“Total Design”is to explore the origin of architectural design based on the principle of design renaissance, to pay whole time-space attention to architecture and city, and to resolve all kinds of problems in the architectural process continuously with design thinking, but not to cater to clients’ market values or to provide an architectural language only.
i. Research of whole industrial chain: Break the bounds of traditional architectural design and provide interactive process design;
ii. Research of whole lifecycle: Consider the whole lifecycle of project synthetically, and resolve problems with design thinking;
iii. Creating places (or providing designs): Provide planning research and design, architectural design, interior design and landscape design, etc.
i. Fully excavate the customers’ demands: To achieve the win-win among construction party, city, user and designer;
ii. The social and economic benefits: Put the red line the project aside, and consider the problem of design from the perspective of city;
iii. Consider the whole lifecycle of project synthetically and the process design of whole industrial chain; iv. Set the success criteria with differentiation (economic benefits and social influence, etc.) according to different projects.
i. User: Mine, meet and surpass the demands of users based on the principle of people first;
ii. City: Design the living, working and rest spaces, build a convenient and environmental living style, and create the places suitable for both working and living from the view of the city;
iii. Constructer: Design, develop and build the feasible process of construction to realize its best value;
iv. Designer: Achieve the best quality in the most appropriate cost.
i. Total arts: i. Total arts: Raised by Walter Gropius, Modernism School;
ii. Total art: Going back to the root of arts, and breaking the bounds between eastern and western art, raised by Philip Pan.
Service Objects of the Whole Process
I. What is “City & Industry”?”
1. "Industry" refers to the industry as is generally considered, especially the city-type industry, which is a place where people work and carry out production;
2.&ldquo "City" refers to the space where people live and rest;
3. Relation between city and industry: the integrative development of city and industry is the inevitable path of industrial development and urban development; the upgrading and transformation of urban industry and the spatial integration of city space constitute the basic law of industrial and urban development, therefore, industry and city shall be recognized as a whole.
II. Development Background of Industry and City
1. From the end of the 1970s to the 2000s:
Urban planning is based on explicit function division: residential district, business district, industrial district, and other urban functional districts. This mode can meet the needs of single industrial development, but features inadequate infrastructure facilities, and the lack of urban function. Disadvantages: the city that focuses on the development of single industrial function is faced with huge risks.
2. After 21st century:
The comprehensive land utilization is emphasized, and the synthetic function of city is encouraged, thus to attract people to work and live here to finally endow the urban with vitality.
Eco-City represents the integrative development of city and industry. Based on urban ecology, it's expected to promote the ecological balance of the city, in order to achieve the integrative development of social ecology, industrial ecology, and environmental ecology, thus to finally create healthy and vibrant cities with sustainable development.
“City & Industry” characteristics: culture, ecology, vitality, intelligence, sustainability, etc.
1. "Ecology" in the narrow sense: ”it focuses on quality of environment, including urban environment (water, air, noise and solid) quality and urban natural resources, which belongs to urban environment;
2. "Ecology" in the general sense:”：
it refers to the comprehensive planning of social, economic and physical environment of specific region based on pan-ecological concepts and perspectives. The concept of Eco-City considers that people's living environment include natural environment and construction environment, while construction environment comprises two aspects of production and life, to be specific, industry development needs industrial ecology, people's livelihood requires social ecology.
The ecology for construction environment equals to industrial ecology and social ecology, as well as the ecology between people’s production and life.
Industrial ecology refers to the environment and process from production to consumption activities.
Social ecology refers to the living condition based on the interaction between human society and natural environment.
IV. “Three Attributes of Eco-City
1. Functional format: the endogenetic impetus for Eco-City, which refers to the social and industrial ecology of city & industry mode.
2. Environmental ecology: the carrier space of Eco-City, which includes the natural and urban environment of city & industry mode.
3. Space form: the manifestation pattern of Eco-City, which is revealed by urban spaces and urban image; The three supplement and support each other.
V. Advantages of City & Industry Integration
1. Integration of production and living, which is suitable for both residence and business;
2. Short-distance travel; to meet the needs from people's living and working based on the concepts of minicity, group innovation space and micro business circle, as well as a reasonable life radius;
3. 24h vitality of the city; to meet the needs of a wide range of activities, attract people to come here, and create vital city atmosphere;
4. Sustainable development of the city; collaborative development of internal impetus and external carrying capacity.
VI. More Information
Zhongguancun: Integration of “Three Ecology”